AnniesBoutique.ca & MaternityCorner.com Community
Go Shopping!
~ Maternity ~ Babies & Toddlers ~ Nursing ~ Bath and Body ~ Party Supplies ~ More...
Be Informed! ~ MC Magazine ~ Conception ~ Pregnancy ~ Infants ~ Toddlers ~ More...
Get Connected! Boards ~ Chat ~ Blogs ~ Polls

Be Informed!
MC Magazine

Conception

Pregnancy

Infants

Toddlers
More...

Find It!

Web maternitycorner
& Annie's Boutique

Go Shopping!
MaternityCorner
Annie's Kids
Amazon.com
Amazon.ca

FREE Deals of the Week

Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Community LeaderCommunity Member

Lightbulb Lunchbox Blues

One of the worst things, to me, about school starting back up is the frequent lunchbox burnout that *I* experience. I totally dislike packing lunchboxes, and because Sam insists on bringing lunch most of the time (a valid insistence though, due to the lines being so long for lunch-buying, that they only get about 10 minutes to inhale their food before lunchtime is over ), I get stuck often. He doesn't seem to mind PB&J every day, but I sure do, ugh.

So - perusing the food-storage aisle at Wallyworld the other day, I got an idea...No judging for what I'm about to say though, please... Remember those salads you could get at McDonalds that came in a big clear plastic cup with a slurpee-top? You put the dressing in and shake it up and it dressed the salad perfectly? I'm gonna start doing that for Sam. The downside is that it might take some prep the night before (if you don't have a lot of time in the morning)...The upside is that I could have the same exact thing for lunch, without the excuse that it takes too much effort to prepare, LOL.

Here's what I got, if anyone's interested in doing the same:

A large thermos-sized, screw top plastic container to hold salad greens.
A small round container for holding salad "fixins" - bacon bits, chicken, cheese, sunflower seeds, whatever...he could just dump it all in.
A small plastic screwtop cup for dressing.

I got a variety of salad "fixins" as mentioned above: bacon bits, sunflower seeds, Craisins, croutons, dried mixed fruit, whatever your child will eat in a salad. And some fresh spinach and "broccoli salad" (really tiny cutup broccoli, red cabbage, carrots, some other stuff...) for greens.

I thought of two kinds of salads he'd like:

Spinach or lettuce mix with cut up chicken (which I poach - with lots of salt & pepper - on Sunday or Monday, for me to eat during the week in chicken-salad or whatever) - actually some leftover barbeque chicken would probably be really good, too. Throw some of that in the little round container, with some bacon bits or real bacon, croutons, cheese, baby cherry tomatoes, etc. for a chicken or bbq-chicken salad. Ranch dressing in the small container - just enough for him to pour in and give the whole thing a good shake.

Spinach or lettuce mix with cut up turkey (or leftover fried chicken), sunflower seeds, craisins or tropical dried fruit mix, and honey-mustard dressing.

I dunno how it will actually fly - I'll report back if it gets canned, but I can't imagine it would bomb too badly...we'll see...
If anyone has some other good ideas for salads, let's hear 'em!

Laura, Mom to Sam (11) and Charlie (3)
"I just give birth to 'em...I don't explain 'em..." - Laura's Mom

Please Shop at Annie's Boutique

Old 08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Community LeaderCommunity Member

Oops - forgot to add this one:

Southwestern Salad - salad mix + black beans + frozen (thawed) corn + tortilla chips or Doritos (crushed) + chicken + your choice of cheese (shredded) + Spicy Southwestern Ranch dressing.